The hubby is heading out of town for work up in New York. When he leaves, things can get a little crazy around here and I am always trying to prepare to be a “one parent” family until he returns. We tend to sit down and discuss what my schedule is for when he’s gone and how he can help me to prepare for his absence. It’s truly a blessing to have a husband who tries to help me maintain my sanity.
So as the “sanity maintainer” in the family, I like to send him off with some lovin’. So this seemed like a good morning to introduce you to my Cinnamon/coconut/brown sugar crusted coffee cake. Just saying it ….makes me get all warm and fuzzy inside……..
My hubby gave up sweets for Lent and he LOVES some good pastries and baked goodies. So with today being Sunday, and NOT a day in lent, it seemed only fitting to have him wake up with the smell of coffee cake. That’s WAY better than any alarm….=)
I’ve had this recipe for years so I’m not sure where it is from. I have tweaked it over the years and it’s just so simple and delicious.
You will need:
- one box of cake mix (I like the butter recipe cake mix)
- 3 lg eggs
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of chilled coffee (I like to use a flavored coffee k-cup so I can just brew one cup, and then put it in the fridge for a few minutes)
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tsps of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup of shredded coconut
- 2 handfuls of chopped pecans (about 1/2 cup)
Mix together the cake mix, 3 eggs, vegetable oil, and coffee until well blended. Pour into two 9 in. round cake pans or 1 -9×13 in. cake pan. Combine the brown sugar and cinnamon and mix well. Add the coconut. Top both cake pans with the crumb mixture evenly. Add one handful of chopped pecans to each pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool.
* this recipe is great to make when you want to deliver a little morning treat to a sick friend or a new mommy. You can easily save one circle pan for yourself and place the other cake in a disposable dish to deliver!!!
Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!!!