Cheese…..love it…..Wine…well, obviously…it’s in the name of my blog!!! It recently occurred to me that I have never posted about one of my favorite “date night at home” activities……..wine and cheese night!
People often ask us how we have time “together” with five kids and what kind of activities we do together. We love to get a babysitter and go out, but sometimes you just want to curl up next to each other on the couch, and share jokes or events of the day and just be together. Sometimes sweats sound better than fancy heels and you are just worn out from the day. Wherein the idea of “stay at home dates” begin to form.
I love going out to a fancy place and ordering a bounty of cheeses on a cheese board. I love how they pair cheeses with honey or a fig jam. I sometimes feel that I could just eat only that all night. So when the hubby and I want to have a great night in….our grocery list always includes some delicious cheese and a good wine. If you are interested in trying some fun cheeses for your next date, here our some of our favorites:
- danish blue cheese drizzled with some good honey
- alouette spreadable garlic and herb cheese pairs well with a club cracker or baguette
- brie cheese topped with raspberry preserves, wrapped in puff pastry sheet and brushed with a beaten egg. Cook in a 350 degree oven for about 20 min. or until a golden brown.
- goat cheese. We like to buy the kind that is wrapped in cranberry and cinnamon. It’s unreal…..
- sharp , extra sharp cheddar, or a baby swiss are great options for serving kids. They pair well with pepperoni or salami and are a great option for people who aren’t as adventurous in selecting a new cheese.
- Smoked gouda is also a mild cheese that pairs well with apples. This is a great option if you love mild cheeses like cheddar.
- Gruyère cheese is also rather mild.
- In the summertime when my basil is beautiful, I love to buy fresh mozzarella and roma tomatoes and make “caprese” bites (tomato slices topped with a fresh basil leaf, sliced fresh mozzarella, and drizzled with olive oil, salt and pepper)….yumminess!
- As for wines, the hubby and I are really into malbecs (red wine) right now. However, we love to try different chiantis, and bordeaux wines.
A toast…….to great company, great wine, and great cheese! Make it memorable……