Have you ever been close to tears due to stress or being overwhelmed and then one little thing happens…and you lose your mind?….
like a sticky waffle…….
When I walked around to my daughter’s side of my minivan, yesterday morning, and saw this, I lost it. A plate of sticky waffles slowly dripping on the floor of my van….and that was my unraveling….
Am I crazy about waffles or something?!
Nope…it was just the final “straw” in being overwhelmed and underheard as a mother……
That waffle was the pebble that, once removed, started the deluge of rocks of thoughts and worries that have plagued my mind for the past few weeks…
Why can’t my kids follow my rules? How do I do all this? Why is my husband traveling so much? When do I clean? Why are my kids so messy? Am I meeting the needs of all my kids? Why do I have so little time for myself? Why is my family plagued by medical issues?
I literally feel like I am pulling this ricksha….most of the time…..uphill…. with five kids and a husband inside it…haha.
And most days I’m on level ground so I can carry my own…
and then some days it seems all uphill…..
As I picked up that waffle, I wiped away the tears from a rough few days. And under my breath, I said, ” lord, help me hold this together.”
I took a deep breath as I walked around the van…and all those memories and thoughts flooded my brain.
- the constant picking up of random kid items….(Lord knows they all have a place)
- the weekly menu planning that I continuously struggle to finish
- The little annoying messes everywhere I look…(does no one know how to clean)
- finding the time to scrub floors; wash windows; and do laundry
- bills need to be scheduled and paid; registers balanced and budgets tweaked
- The daily schooling of five kiddos…(isn’t education overrated?)
- the endless errands: extracurriculars, food shopping, clothes shopping, etc.
- and then there’s the holidays….Halloween is less than two weeks away.
- the two molars pulled, this week, for Sweet Pea
- the constant nagging of DDD to wear his retainer…
- The ER visit on friday with the Fashionista for a seizure (um….what?!)
- So now we are in the process of appointments and testing to figure out what’s going on with the Fashionista…..
And…this was me…..DONE!!!!
Yeah…it wasn’t pretty.
“Quit your crying, Taffeta”….haha
But...ugly cries are awesome.
It’s pretty cleansing…..
So…..I tossed out that sticky waffle and I cleaned up any remnants of it on my carpet.
And just like that….I know that I can get through this.
So if you can identify with any of those feelings, or you are at the end of your rope, I recommend a good old “ugly cry”….and then take it to the foot of the cross.
Sometimes it just takes a “sticky waffle” to remind you that you need to get on your knees and be thankful for your “worries” and what overwhelms you.
Mostly because you have a God that is bigger than all of that.
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”- Phillipians 4:13
As for today, God and I have this one covered.